2007/11/25

Legal Sharing Seminar on Loykratong day


Yesterday, I participated in the legal sharing seminar at Chulalongkorn University. The seminar began at 8am and finished at 4pm and I had to wear suit that made me look like a lawyer. This seminar was an activity of Asian Law students Association of Thailand (ALSA Thailand). The topic for the seminar is “Copyright”. In the morning section, there was a symposium in Thai; the topic is “The Intellectual property law in Thailand” They talked about general view of Thailand’s intellectual property law, which I had read a bit before. After that, we had a table discussion that we had to separate into four groups and discussed about the problem of copyright that they gave us and presented it. I like this kind of seminar that let the participator to be a part of it, but it was my first time to have a group discussion in a topic that I have such a little bit knowledge, so it make me like a fool that couldn’t express my opinion or just a rubbish, I have to work hard now!

After lunchtime, there were another symposium and moot court show from the students of Chulalongkorn University. Another symposium, they talked in English and the topic is “Copyright Infringement and Copyright Protection in Thailand and the International Cooperation”. This topic let me know a lot more about copyright infringement in Thailand. I think it is funny that, in Thailand, there is an act to prevent and punish the infringer, but it is still the big problem for Thailand. We can see many illicit CDs or DVDs along the street; such as on Silom road. There is law but they do not afraid of it. It is a crime of stealing but they still sold them. In fact, the customer is also an important part in this problem, because we still buy them too, they are cheaper! So why do we have to buy an expensive one, right? I think law is only a little part to solve this problem. It is also a problem of economic. We can say that it related with a reason of demand and supply, between price and ability to pay for goods. I think the companies do take advantage of their customer; they are greedy. Therefore, we have to find other ways to solve this problem; sometime law cannot help! We have to solve the problem from the source not a tail.
Another activity was a moot court show. It was great, they did excellent and it was so interesting. Their English skills were excellent too. The topic is still about copyright. They made me really impress of it.

So yesterday made me know that, I have to improve myself a lot! As a delegate from ALSA Thailand in ALSA conference in Malaysia, I have to be a diligence and smart woman, so I have to work hard and have a good preparation, in order to make a good reputation for my country and my university. I will try my best!

No comments: